Plain Language: Building Results is a 7-hour course. This course helps you write documents—ranging from decisions, opinions and reports to applications, commencing documents and emails—that are easy for your audiences to read, understand and use. The course presents practical techniques for streamlining the writing process, determining content and structure, highlighting key messages, cutting wordiness, reducing ambiguity and generally getting the message across. You will learn through examples, exercises and before-and-after excerpts.
As an added value to the course, you will receive personal feedback in plain language on a portion of your supplied writing.
This course intends to:
- show why plain language matters, to both readers and writers
- provide techniques and tools that result in clear, accessible documents that readers can understand and use
- introduce a versatile approach that helps writers shape different documents for different readers
You will take away:
- knowledge of the different types of the reader and what each type needs (and doesn’t need) from a document
- tips for structuring your documents and deciding on content based on readers’ needs
- techniques for ensuring that readers can find, understand and act on key messages
- seven tools for writing in plain language (the CP SAVES model)
- tips for making your writing more dynamic, engaging and memorable
- tips for using layout and design to improve readability
- strategies for evaluating the readability of your documents
- personal feedback on your writing skills
In-Person or Livestream: $850.00 Members / $1,100.00 Non Members