View the categorizes below about some of some of the most common questions we receive about our services and programs:
Basic Course Information
Course Materials and Exam
Still don’t see what your looking for? visit our Contact Us page or give the office a call during our business hours.
Make sure to add yourself to our Contact List to stay up to date with the Latest from FOAJ.
CTAJ™ Certificate Questions
How many credits do I get for each course?
One (2 half) day course – 7 Educational credits
Two (4 half) day course – 14 Educational credits
- Principles of Administrative Justice
- Interpreting Legislation
- Decision Making
- Decision Writing
- Other FOAJ courses
Do custom courses count CTAJ™?
Custom courses may be eligible for credit.
Do my previous courses count the CTAJ™?
- For courses taken prior to 2009 the person will be required to attend the course again or complete a refresher course to become eligible to write the exam.
- From January 1, 2011 a course participant must write the exam at the end of the course. Exams will be offered at the end of every course and the fee is incorporated into the course registration fee.
- From January 1, 2011, should a person choose not to take the examination at the time of taking the course, the person will need to attend the course again or take a refresher course to write the exam.
When do I apply for the certificate and what happens after?
When you have successfully completed all the Education Requirements submit your application.
You will receive an email confirming that you have met all requirements. You will receive your Certificate at the graduation ceremony which takes place our Annual General Meeting in the spring of each year. Each graduate receives an invitation to the graduation. If you are unable to attend, we will mail your Certificate after the graduation ceremony.
Basic Course Information Questions
What time does a course start and end?
- Instructional Time 8:30 am – 4:30 pm.
Exam 4:45 pm – 6:00 pm on final day of course. All CTAJ™ courses have an optional exam. The exam must be successful written to receive credit toward the CTAJ™ Certificate
- Instructional Time 8:15 am – 12:00 pm or 12:30 – 4:30 pm
Exam: 1 hour after completion on final day of course. All CTAJ™ courses have an optional exam. The exam must be successful written to receive credit toward the CTAJ™ Certificate
- Self paced. the entire course is 8-9 hours of video play. Additional time is required to complete exercises and 75 minutes is allotted to writing the exam.
How will I know that I am accepted into a course?
You will receive an electronic confirmation letter with location and course pre-readings or exercises 14 days prior to the course start. If the course is full you will be notified within 3 business days of receipt of your application.
What is expected of me before and at the course?
Before the course, the instructor will assume you have done the pre-course readings and will proceed with the course accordingly. Your ability to keep up with the pace of instruction in the course, and to understand key concepts and ideas, will depend to a significant extent on the pre-course reading provided. Due to allergies we ask that you do not use perfumes or other scented products on course days. Be respectful of the other participants and their level of experience. Turn your cell phone to vibrate and leave the room if you need to take a call.
What is provided for me at the course?
The course will include both lecture and class exercises. Participant’s binders and necessary supplies will be provided.
You will receive a course code to access course material, along with a course invitation link and password the night before your course.
A course code will be provided after payment is received. This will include your material and the pre recorded video for your course. Printed copy of the material available for $75.00.
Course Materials and Exam Questions
What if I can’t find my materials?
Replacement materials can be purchased for $75.00 per course; participant must have previously taken the course.
If you are having trouble locating your Electronic Material please contact the office.
How will I get my exam results?
We strive to have the exam results to the participants 2 weeks after the course. The exam result is indicated in letter format to the participants email address. We do not provide an exam mark. Results are successful and unsuccessful
Do I have to write the exam at the end of my course?
To be eligible for certificate credits, a participant must write the exam at the end of the course.
Can I write an exam without taking the course?
Yes, a person can write the exam without taking the course with the exception of the core and required courses for the certificate streams: Principles of Administrative Justice, Interpreting Legislation, Case Management Practices, Presenting Cases before Tribunals and Investigations. Individuals are permitted to challenge one exam. The cost of challenging an exam is $95.00.
What if I fail the exam?
All applicants must obtain 65% or higher to pass exams. If the exam mark is 60-64% (does not include challenge exams), the person may rewrite the exam one time by paying the exam fee. ($75.00)
- If a person rewrites the exam or takes a refresher course with exam and does not obtain 65%, the person must repeat the course.
- If a person initially wrote a challenge exam does not obtain 65%, the person must take the course.
- All marks given on any exam are final and not subject to negotiation or appeal.
Do I get a tax receipt for the courses I have taken and paid for myself?
The Government of Canada, HRSDC, has approved FOAJ as an educational institution authorized to issue receipts that may qualify for Tuition Tax Credit under the Income Tax Act. Individuals who pay their own course fees may be able to use the fees from our courses on their personal income tax.
What is your cancellation policy?
If you register and need to cancel:
- More than 21 days before the event – a $100.00 non-refundable administrative fee applies. If payment is received the balance will be refunded or applied towards a future FOAJ event within one calendar year of the original course date. If payment has not been received the administration fee remains.
- 21 days or less before the event – the full registration fee is non-refundable. If payment has not been received the full registration fee remains. You can substitute another person at no additional charge until the day of the course.
Why is e-Learning more expensive?
One word – convenience. Save on travel expenses, no deadline to finish the course and you don’t have to take time off work to finish this course.
Do I have to be a member to register for a course?
Membership is not required to take our training, but taking a membership does save you money.
To receive membership rate you must be a current member in the year the event your are registering for. (Check out our Memberships Here)
What information will I receive from my education summary?
An education summary indicates how many courses you have taken as well as how many credits you have accumulated through training. It will show you how many credits you have received towards your CTAJ™.
Will my course from another provider count?
FOAJ will not accept an equivalency for any of its courses for the CTAJ™ Certificate. Persons who feel they have an equivalency should consider writing the challenge exam for the one elective course of their choice.
What is CASL and what does it mean to me?
CASL is the Canadian Anti Spam Legislation that takes effect on July 1, 2014. The FOAJ Board of Directors has passed a policy stating “The Foundation of Administrative Justice will comply with the Canadian Anti-Spam Legislation.” This means that FOAJ cannot contact you through email for marketing purposes without your expressed consent.