This 14 hour course introduces a method (a process and a template) for interpreting Acts, Regulations, bylaws, policies and contracts. The method, based on the Supreme Court of Canada’s modern approach to interpretation, combines theory with practice and gives participants a sound foundation to tackle interpretation questions. The course will include: what you need to know before starting to interpret legislation; how to unravel complicated text; techniques to resolve different interpretation questions, and a template for tackling the interpretation of legislation.
Course Outcomes – In this course you will learn:
- a modern method template
- tools aid in interpretation of legislation, policy and contracts
- experience in analyzing and interpreting legislation
- experience integrating a dependable process for interpretation designed to reach a defendable decision based on the legislation
- confidence in making understandable and defendable interpretation decisions
- a self-learning plan.
Course Learning Objectives
- introduce the modern method and template
- build confidence in using the modern method and template
- interpret legislative text using the modern method of interpretation
- develop clear reasons for interpretation decisions linked to the template
Recommended prior FOAJ Training: Principles of Administrative Justice and Decision Making
In-Person or Live Stream: $1,070.00 Members / $1,320.00 Non Members