Building on the basic Introduction to Administrative Justice course, Effective Hearings is a two-day course that helps tribunal members to acquire the skills necessary to conduct hearings within the context of an administrative tribunal. It will assist participants appreciate fair hearing principles; refresh the guidelines for admitting evidence; recognize issues that arise in hearings; conduct hearings more effectively; and gain confidence in conducting hearings within their tribunal context. Through a combination of lectures, demonstrations and group exercises, Day 1 of the course provides participants with the information and tools necessary to conduct fair and effective hearings. On Day 2, the participants will practice their skills in mock hearings. This course qualifies for the Certificate in Tribunal Administrative Justice™ (CTAJ™). (14 Education Credits)
The objectives of this course are to:
- Provide a framework to conduct fair hearings.
- Build skills for chairing hearings.
- tips to prepare and present opening & closing comments
- tips for dealing with hearing decorum and difficult parties
- a process to deal with two common evidentiary concerns in a hearing
- a process to handle common procedural matters in a hearing
- techniques for dealing with self-represented parties
- confidence in their skills to conduct a hearing.
Recommended prior FOAJ Training: Principles of Administrative Justice & Evidence
$1,070 Members / $1,320.00 Non Members