Recommended for: Administrative decision makers, investigators, or anyone who wants to write clear, concise, coherent decisions.
This course stresses a reader-centred approach to writing decisions. Learners will discover how to organize ideas, draft decisions quickly, and revise for logic and flow. Learners will practice specific skills and techniques for writing clearly, concisely, and coherently and apply the learning to writing decisions in a tribunal context. The goal is to develop your writing skills relevant to decision writing and become confident creating and revising these documents. Format: Focused writing exercises plus large and small group discussions, along with individual feedback from an instructor and peer learners. Read more….
Prerequisite: To attend this course you must have taken the Principles of Administrative Justice course.
Livestream Course Dates
- March 4, 5, 7, & 8, 2024 (8:30 am-12:00 pm MT)
- April 29, 30, May 2, & 3, 2024 (9:30 am-1:00 pm MT)
- July 8, 9, 11, & 12, 2024 (8:30 am-12:00 pm MT)
- November 4, 5, 7, & 8, 2024 (9:30 am-1:00 pm MT)
This course intends to:
- develop writing skills directly relevant to tribunal members and staff.
- encourage decision writers to think about writing for their readers.
- make your written decisions readable, understandable, and transparent.
Course Learning Outcomes
After this course, you will be able to:
- use decision-making notes to write an administrative decision, either as a sole decision maker or as part of a decision-making panel.
- explain what different audiences need in a decision and how those needs affect how you write a decision.
- develop the evidence and positions of the parties in reasons for the decision.
- ensure both the parties and the public see that the evidence and the parties were heard by the decision maker.
Recommended previous FOAJ courses: Evidence, Interpreting Legislation, & Decision Making
Livestream: $1,070.00 Members / $1,320.00 Non Members
Refresher: $599.00 Member or Non Member
*For individuals who have previously taken the course, and would like to attend a regular scheduled livestream course at a discount rate. Please contact us at email@example.com or call 855-466-0501.