- This event has passed.
FOAJ Decision Writing – Whitehorse
September 19, 2017 - September 20, 2017
Decision Writing is a two-day workshop building on the decision-writing module in the Introduction to Administrative Justice course. The focus is to assist tribunal members to acquire writing skills directly relevant to them. The workshop will help participants bring a reader oriented perspective to writing decisions; organize and revise decisions to enhance logic and flow; write clear, concise and coherent decisions; and gain confidence in decision writing within their tribunal context. Participants will practice particular skills and techniques through focused writing exercises and by drafting or revising a decision. They will receive feedback on their exercises from an instructor. The workshop will include large and small group discussion and exercises. (14 Education Credits)
- To develop the writing skills directly relevant to tribunal members and staff.
- To bring a reader oriented perspective to writing decisions
- To make written decisions readable, understandable and transparent.
Workshop Outcomes – Participants will take away:
- tools to assess their audience
- tips and a format to enhance logic in reasons
- four basic tips to make their decisions easier to understand
- tips about how much evidence and argument to include
- resources to aide in writing clear decisions
- stronger familiarity with your own writing style
- personal feedback on their writing skills
- confidence in writing decisions.
Recommended prior FOAJ Training: Principles of Administrative Justice, Evidence, & Decision Making
$1,070 Members / $1,320.00 Non Members