Recommended for: Investigators and advocates, or anyone who gathers information for administrative justice cases.
Investigators play a key role in gathering information for a case. Learners will look at all the steps of an investigation, from preparing and planning through gathering information and interviewing witnesses, and writing reports, recommendations, and decisions. Learners will practise defining the scope of the investigation, checking the terms of reference, developing an investigation plan, ensuring fair process, making findings of fact, and other practical skills related to investigations. The goal is to understand the investigation process and get better at carrying out each step. Format: A combination of lecture, guided discussions, and large and small group exercises.
Prerequisite: To attend this course you must have taken the Principles of Administrative Justice course.
Livestream Course Dates
- March 18, 19, 21, & 22, 2024 (8:30 am-12:00 pm MT)
- September 16, 17, 19, & 20, 2024 (8:30 am-12:00 pm MT)
This course intends to:
- build skills and best practices for carrying out investigations.
- look at investigations from the point of view of investigators, advocates, complainants, respondents, and witnesses.
- develop your interviewing skills.
- improve your fact-finding skills.
- help you write better investigation reports.
Course Learning Outcomes
After this course, you will be able to:
- explain and apply the required elements of fairness in investigations, including disclosure and bias.
- manage the roles of the investigator, advocate, complainant, respondent, and witnesses in an investigation in a fair way.
- plan an investigation that stays within its scope and meets the terms of reference while being practical and on time.
- effectively plan for and question witnesses and look for relevant information.
- write reports that logically link findings of fact to the scope, and clearly explain the terms of reference and relevant evidence.
- confidently identify and implement practical tips for best practices in investigations.
- evaluate what further training you might need to become a better investigator.
Recommended previous FOAJ courses: Evidence, Interpreting Legislation, Decision Making, or previous experience in investigations.
Livestream: $1,070.00 Members / $1,320.00 Non Members
*Refresher: $599.00 Member or Non Member
*For individuals who have previously taken the course, and would like to attend a regular scheduled livestream course at a discount rate. Please contact us at email@example.com or call 855-466-0501.