Interpreting Legislation is an intermediate-level course. It is intended for people who have been introduced to the modern method of interpreting legislation in the Principles of Administrative Justice course. Administrative tribunals result from legislation. As a result, all administrative justice professionals — decision-makers, administrators, advocates, and investigators — must interpret legislation. This legislation includes acts, regulations, and bylaws, as well as policies and contracts. The Interpreting Legislation course uses an organized statutory interpretation process and helps develop experience using the modern method. Learners work on their own and in groups to apply the method to different problems. The course takes learners through typical interpretation problems. It presents most challenges in interpreting legislation and gives learners a sound foundation in the knowledge, skills, and attitudes needed to tackle interpretive questions. Read more….
Prerequisite: To attend this course you must have taken the Principles of Administrative Justice course.
Livestream Course Dates
- January 22, 23, 25, & 26, 2024 (8:30 am-12:00 pm MT)
- April 11, 12, 15, & 16, 2024 (8:30 am-12:00 pm MT)
- June 3, 4, 6, & 7, 2024 (9:30 am-1:00 pm MT)
- September 23, 24, 26, & 27, 2024 (8:30 am-12:00 pm MT)
- November 28, 29, December 2, & 3, 2024 (8:30 am-12:00 pm MT)
- Available via a self-paced elearning model
This course intends to:
- help you appreciate why legislation and interpreting it correctly are important.
- refresh your knowledge and skills for locating, understanding, and citing legislation.
- use best practices for interpreting legislation in all aspects of administrative practice.
- strengthen your skills in interpreting legislative text, whether you are a decision maker, administrator, advocate, or investigator.
- make interpreting legislation a part of decision-making and advocacy.
Course Learning Outcomes
After this course, learners will be able to:
- appreciate the central role of legislation in administrative advocacy and decision-making.
- explain how legislation is organized and why it is important.
- break down legislation so it can be interpreted.
- interpret legislation using the modern method for interpreting legislation.
- apply a thorough process for interpreting legislation to reach a defendable decision or reasonable argument based on the legislation.
- assess your strengths and weaknesses in interpreting legislation so you can plan for further professional development.
Livestream: $1,070.00 Members / $1,320.00 Non Members
*Refresher: $599.00 Member or Non-Member
*For individuals who have previously taken the course, and would like to attend a regular scheduled livestream course at a discount rate. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 855-466-0501.